Wednesday 29 March 2017

Good phrases for your oral exam

MAKING YOUR POINT/ EMPHASIZING THAT SOMETHING IS YOUR OWN OPINION
In my opinion, ...
In my view ...
Personally, I think that ...
Personally speaking,
I reckon ... 
If you ask me, ...
I'd say that ...
I feel that ...
My feeling is that ...
As far as I am concerned ...
From my point of view ... 


HALF-AGREEING
I see/ take your point, but ... 
I see what you mean, but ...
I agree up to a point, but ...
I sort of agree. 

DISAGREEING
I completely disagree.
I don't agree at all.
No, you are missing the point.
That's not the point.
I can't see your point at all.
But that's not always the case.
I am not so sure about that.
I am not sure I agree with you.
I am afraid I don't really agree.
I don't really think you are right. 
Not necessarily. 

ASKING FOR CLARIFICATION
You mean ...
Sorry, I don't quite follow you 

END OF AN ANSWER
… in my view, anyway.
That’s my opinion, anyway.
So, in short …
All in all …
And that’s about it, really.

STARTING/CLOSING A DISCUSSION
We couLd start by talking about ...
Let's talk about ... first. 
I think we need to make a decision.
Shall we try to come to an agreement?

 CONTRAST
But on the other hand …
But at the same time ...
Although I must admit that …
Having said that, …  

PREDICTIONS about yourself
I guess I’ll …
I reckon I will …
I don’t think I’ll ever …
I don’t imagine I’ll …

SUPPOSING ABOUT OTHERS
They are probably …
They probably + verb
They must + verb
It looks as if they are + ing
I imagine they might + verb  


EXPRESSING OPINIONS/ REACTING 
Believe me, …
… seems like the best option to me.
I am really keen on the idea of …
If you ask me, I really think we should …
But just think of the …. !
Personally, I am in favour of … (+ gerund)
I am sure it will be worth it.
… , don’t you agree?  

REACTING in a negative way
I don’t find (modern art) very interesting.
I am not really into (modern art) In fact, I don’t really like(modern art) at all.
To be honest, (modern art) just makes me laugh.
(Modern art) isn’t really my thing.
I am not a big fan of (modern art)

REACTING TO STRANGE INFORMATION 
How weird/ strange/ bizarre/ odd!
How awful!

EXCLAMATIONS
What a great/brilliant/fantastic idea!
What an amazing coincidence!
What a terrible experience!
What a pity!
What a waste of time!
What bad luck! 
What a shame!

How interesting! 
How annoying!
How embarrassing!
How awful! 

ALLOWING YOURSELF TIME TO THINK
I need to think for a moment.
That’s an interesting question.
That's a tricky question, really. 
Well, it’s difficult to say, really.
Let me see.
It depends …
I guess an honest answer would be …
I suppose the simplest answer to that question is …
If I think about it, I suppose …
On balance, I think …
The best example that comes to mind is ...
I have never given it a lot of thought ...

 TALKING ABOUT MISUNDERSTANDINGS 
I was under the impression that …
I thought that … but in fact …
Naturally I assumed that …
It turned out that …
It was so embarrassing.
I was horrified.
I felt awful.
I felt such a fool.
We had a good laugh about it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment